THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

8.31.2008

I have some social problems.
They tend to border on dishonesty but then again, social dishonesty is by no means a new concept.

So when I say problems I'm referring more to the after effects of my actions as opposed to the actions themselves.

I like to be a creative and diversely interesting conversationalist.
This requires a quick wit, ingenuity and a relatively comprehensive grasp of the English language and its vocabulary.

This all being said, I have to admit I have a tendency to secretly hold to a minor amount of timidity with regard to introducing novel ideas and/or aphorisms. I keep this shyness within my personal arcana in order that my confidence in speech won't falter or be suspect by those with whom I am engaging.

This comes out most often in the form of my "re-telling something someone else once said" when in reality I just came up with it myself. Or "recounting an idea I've had for a while now," when in truth it just occurred to me and I am making it up as I go.

Like I said these actions aren't the end of the world and by no means make me some interactive fiend. And yet in antithesis to besmirching my character, I am refraining from allowing it to be polished, amended to, and improved.
By allowing others to believe that the witty and pithy statements I'm dropping ever so appropriately into a conversation belong to anyone other than myself (when they are one-hundred percent originally my own) I'm removing the ability for the audience to attribute that communicative brilliance to me and instead it goes wafting out over the sea of some nebulous "other" who never gets any real credit anyway because of the blatant fact that they don't exist.

As for bringing up implicitly "long standing ideas" as if I've been developing them for some time and am only just now ready to discuss them in their gravity and complexity, I'm robbing myself of the respect gained for a quick mind and deep thought.

Upon this reflection I rest a huge amount of recent discontent with my articulation.
Whether social, personal or otherwise, I'm through with this meaningless and petty fear of being disappointing.

The only reason I can see for my ridiculous behavior is indeed that I am afraid I'll come off as "unfunny, uninspired, and terribly banal."

This just won't do.

0 reaction(s):